- Very useful for runners and all kinds of athletes since they need lots of electrolytes. Specifically, marathon runners require lots of electrolytes due to them losing many electrolytes in the form of sweat. A 2001 study by Sanders, Noakes, and Dennis has shown that athletes who have more electrolytes tend to urinate less due to athletes not having to excrete as much water to balance out the sodium/electrolyte concentration in their bodies which leads to a better race result (less time taken on bathroom breaks).
- Electrolyte drinks help infants/children who have chronic vomiting or diarrhea since these infants/children tend to lose a lot of electrolytes, in these cases sports drinks are not recommended since they contain high sugar concentrations. This is why orange juice is a very good choice for these infants/children.
- Help people with high acidity levels in their blood, electrolytes can regulate these acidity levels
- Electrolytes prevent cramps
- Help patients of Hypoxemia (low blood oxygen), electrolytes can regulate the oxygen levels in their blood
- Can be used by everyone since electrolytes are essential in vital body functions, specifically they:
o Hydrate the body
o Help brain and nervous system transmit and receive important signals
o Help the body’s cells generate energy
o Help the muscles contract and relax